Friday 21 October 2011

My 1st thoughts on the Professional Artifact


The 2nd campus session was about the professional artifact and after a very interesting morning I feel I am in a good position to think about my professional artifact and the form it should take. 
To clarify what the professional artifact is and should be I will start by defining the critical review. 
The Critical Review is a piece of academic writing that describes the process and is the whole story. It has a beginning, middle and an end with a social science structure. Think of it as a report / review of what you know and have learnt. Remember it is the whole story.
To be clear of the difference here is a summery of the professional artifact.
The Professional Artifact is a different expression of the same answer. It is a way of creatively and imaginatively revealing your knowledge. It is connected to your question and is not the start of a new inquiry. It is the end of the story and should be use full in your field of work and to your community in practice. Remember it is equally as important as the critical review and should not be thought of as an add on.
With all of this in mind here is my idea for my professional artifact!
I propose to create a slide share show incorporating my new found knowledge of the use of social media technologies for small businesses. It will encompass the answer to my inquiry question “Expanding my performing arts business - using social media tools” I hope to use my new knowledge to inform others of the tools available, the benefits and advantages, along with the best way to operate and the key dos and don’ts to help others succeed. I will use graphics and illustrations as well as informative text and this could well be distributed by social media in the future.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a slide share would be a dynamic way to present your artifact and knowledge. Depending on the content, you could consider using it as part of your oral presentation. I know that PowerPoint has user-friendly software. I think the information that you gain about social media will be useful for all students on BAPP on as most jobs involve forms of marketing. Thank you for also e-mailing me the link for the press article relating to my inquiry topic. If I come across any literature relating to your topic, I will forward it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this Nicole! I unfortunately missed this campus session, and the way you have described the significance of the artefact is so clear and helpful.
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete