Wednesday 4 May 2011

6b - Findings and thoughts on the tools of inquiry


Having successfully piloted each of the tools of inquiry I have gained a greater understanding and respect for each.  However I have concluded that not all of the tools will be of use to my inquiry alone.  Observation alone would not add to or answer my inquiry question.  A well structured survey could produce interesting quantitative and some qualitative data but would I need to interview individuals to get full informative answers. Here are my findings and thoughts on the tools of inquiry
  • Observation
Using observation was interesting and thought provoking.  It certainly enlightened me when I observed one of my companies dance teachers in action.  It allowed me to access once again their ability and competence within a lesson situation and the observation allowed me to reflect on my companies representation by others.  I would certainly use observation in the future to keep a close eye on the professional practice of the company representatives.  I feel this is a key management tool and may well help with aspects of my inquiry when I begin to access and evaluate the components of Manic Stage Productions.  As my inquiry is about development and expansion, observation will help to highlight both the areas for concern and the future success of the organisation.
  • Interview
The interview I had with my business partner Matthew Newman was very informative.  I was able to ask him to elaborate on answers  and really get to know his opinions and views.  I had given him the questions via email sometime before we met as I felt this would allow him to think about what he wanted to say in response, giving me the most information possible.  The only negative I found with the interview was that it was hard to pin point a time that we were both available to undertake the interview in person.  I would possibly consider skype or telephone as an option within my inquiry.  I appreciate that time is of the essence and as I intend to interview a performing arts manager who successfully expanded their business, I realise that I may not be able to pin them down for a face to face interview.  In future I will record each interview as it will be easier to correctly quote and document the information.  I am fully aware that the individual will need to consent to this.
  • Focus Groups
I was able to conduct a small focus group with a handful of my dancers before a rehearsal and I think it is a very useful tool of inquiry.  We discussed the 5 corporate shows we sell and their opinions on how well they thought they were marketed and their thoughts on how to move forward and expand to a larger audience.  Some very interesting points were made and the interactive dynamics of the focus group was encouraging.  All members had a similar view and together the ideas and suggestions grew through encouraging interaction.  I will certainly consider this approach within my inquiry yet I am aware that it is often difficult to get a large number of people together due to busy schedules and time management.  My only other concern is the ability to conduct a focus group ethically, I wonder if everyone in my pilot group spoke truthfully about their opinions on Manic Stage Productions. 
  • Questionnaires
Questionnaires will be integral to my inquiry, they will enable me to gather information from a large group of people in a relatively easy and non-time consuming way.  I learnt a great deal from my pilot survey and think it is very important to ensure that the correct questions are asked and that they are asked in the correct order.  I will be surveying both my employees and business contacts to access the current situation and presences of Manic Stage Productions in the local area and beyond.  Anonymity is most certainly an option for each participant as it will be key to its success in allowing each person to be truthful and opinionated, both positively and negatively.  The results will be easy to analyse and evaluate for my inquiry, hopefully providing interesting informative findings for me to use in deciding which areas to expand in.

No comments:

Post a Comment