Monday 22 November 2010

Task 2b Reflective Writing
I spent time on this task a few weeks ago, and have now decided to look back over my piece and comment on my thoughts today, as I have just completed a very similar day/event to the one previously reflected on in the frame work of Ried and Moon. I will not be posting the whole reflective entry as it covered 7 pages of hand written scribble, however, I will be looking inwardly at which sub headings I feel best helped me reflect, learn and move forward.
Description
I certainly feel this is a necessary starting point and should always be included.  It helps clarify exactly what the event was, when it was and where it took place. I feel if two events are very similar, this section would help you at a later date reflect and compare. It reminds you and the reader that they were different days with different outcomes and experiences.
Initial Reflection

I have in the past written a diary, it was more personal than professional. Having looked at the  description and ideas behind initial reflection, I felt its framework was very familiar. This is the structure I have previously used and feels the easiest to connect with at this stage. I think it is useful to identify feelings and moods when reflecting on the success of a day/event. It will inevitably help identify what makes a day/event successful and if your feelings could change towards a future engagement.
List

I found this component very useful. I would personally write my list of things that come to mind before my initial reflection as i find this more productive. I feel a simple task such as, creating a list of words that spring to mind, unearthed feelings and thoughts that encouraged me to look and think deeper. For instance, “lost voice”, is a regular occurrence when teaching such a large group of children. Yet I had never given it much thought once I had completed the day, as it didn’t really play on my mind on leaving the school. By putting it on my list, it then became something I would think about when going further into the writing task. In my evaluation I easily recognised that by taking along the microphone to my music system I could avoid this all together. It was a simple but most certainly over looked solution to an undiscovered problem that arose from a list of words.
Evaluation

I would certainly use the evaluation criteria again without question. It made me look at how to improve on the work I deliver, as well as encouraging me that, what I have achieved is of a good standard. For the first time in a long time, I concluded that I should be very proud of my business. Evaluating any day or event is something I am definitely going to spend time on in the future. It is a sure way to help identify both positive and negative points. also to help begin to work on improving your professional practice.
What If

I know this section is useful in highlighting things that have the potential to happen, but very rarely do.  I think its a good idea to give these points time. It encouraged me to double check I was prepared for the worst case scenarios, i.e. injury or disobedience. When stating things that I wished had happened it lead me to think how I could make positive things happen in the future. I will definitely use this idea in future reflection, but will possibly use it in general rather than on every occasion. I have since put this into practice on an overall view of certain aspects of my business, i.e. Workshops, Wedding Dance Lessons and Corporate Events. It has allowed me to look inwardly at what I would like to happen in the future. Primarily helping me try to understand how to gain more business opportunities.
Another View

It is always useful to consider the impression you have on another person. This element of the task has reminded me to always think about what others would think or may think. I will on occasion be using this framework to make sure my actions are seen in the correct way by others. It has highlighted that sometimes actions speak louder than words.
Themes

I am not sure if I had written in too greater depth on the previous sections of the framework. Unfortunately when I arrived at Themes I felt I had covered most, if not all of the questions it had asked me to cover. I think it is a good idea to check there is nothing more you can reflect on, by considering themes and if so adding to your journal writing. As always, if all points have been covered I don’t think I would be inclined to repeat them in this section.
Overall I am pleased to have been introduced to the Ried and Moon framework and I will be using this structure in the future. It gave me a great insight into thoughts and actions that I had disregarded for so long, not considering them to be important to my development. But of course to improve you must be able to critique your own work and Task 2b Reflective Writing has given me the tools to do exactly that. By doing so I hope to improve my professional practice.

2 comments:

  1. I thinking making lists is really useful too. Like you said it seemed to highlight things for me that I otherwise overlooked. I like what you said about starting out by making a list. I think is a really good idea and I'm going to start doing it. I think it will then give the reat of my writing more structure and stop me rambling so much.

    In contrast to you I found the themes section really useful too. I did go back over topics that I had already mentioned but I felt like I used it as a way to clarify the main points of the day, almost like showing the big picture rather the detail. I think this made me find the lessons of the day more digestible. Thought it was worth sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you said about evaluation - in fact this should be built in to all professional endeavors at the outset so that we can measure success.

    ReplyDelete